Friday, March 26, 2010

My first days in Santorini

So, I left Athens on the 23rd of March and after a very long - long journey I finally reached Santorini and I am house hunting ever since. The prices are extremely high for tiny furnished apartment studios, apparently there are not many jobs in Athens so everyone is going to the islands at the moment and housing is scarce. I have a couple of possible candidates but they are a little bit more than what I had in mind. My internet time is very limited, I use an internet café so I probably won’t be able to answer all of my mail right away, but I will get to it eventually.

Currently I am staying at the hotel where I will start working on the 31st of March. It’s nice but still needs a thorough clean up and shaping up. Luckily there are scores of electricians, maids, cooks etc making everything ready. The rooms are a bit chilly because of all the humidity but the hotel is located in a rather nice area (though not as nice as Loucas, their view was to die for). The problem with “The Majestic” is that it’s a perfectly luxurious four star hotel that fancies itself a five star and though not as pricey as, say, Mystique, is rather expensive. I think however that I am going to enjoy working here.

The island itself is a huge construction site. Everyone is re – building and making ready for the season though not many places will be open for Easter. In my quest for an apartment I stumbled over a lot of quant little places in or close to Fira with extremely good prices for a nice getaway, I am not going into details right now but I have found perfectly nice double rooms for 40,00 euros per night (who said Santorini is expensive?) I will post more on my next post just in case anyone fancies a visit (do I hear bookcrossing spring excursion? Anyone? No?).

I have read two books already: "Ο μεσάζοντα" του John Grisham, and “Nights of rain and stars” by Maeve Binchy.

That’s all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment