Saturday, March 27, 2010

Found an apartment in Santorini

I found a place to stay! Yupi! I haven’t moved yet but pretty soon I am going to have my very first flat! I have lived alone before but usually I was a “nomad”. I’ve been offered a room to share with someone I didn’t usually know by the management as part of the benefit package but it wasn’t a home.

I am a bit worried, ok I am terrified, because I don’t know if I can make it, financially I mean and I am a bit anxious about the future. A house is a commitment. Next year I will have to work at the same company (dark thoughts: what if they don’t want me back? What if it’s awful and I don’t like it? What if my welfare money can’t cover my expenses in the winter? What if I don’t save enough?).

Landlords here are unbelievable. They take advantage of the situation (aka people’s need for housing now that the season is beginning) and are asking extraordinary amounts of money for rent. Sometimes I think that it would be better if I bought a house rather than rent it! I have seen four possible apartments, all of them expensive but only one of them actually worth the money of the rent. I am picking the bigger one. If I am going to go over budget it might as well be for a house that I truly liked that doesn’t resemble a tiny furnished box.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed and hope for the best. The apartment is a regular one bedroom and not a studio which means I have two beds to spear, so feel free to comment (hint: someone might get lucky and have a free vacation in Santorini!) As soon as I settle I’m going to post pictures.

Reading now: “The righteous men” by Sam Bourne. It’s pretty ok. It’s still pretty early to realize what’s going on but so far this poor reporter writes about a couple of un – related murders and his wife is kidnapped by a sect of religious Jews and he is ordered to stop or they will kill her. It’s not heavy literature but it keeps my mind from wandering about things I really shouldn’t be thinking (above mentioned dark thoughts).

Tomorrow I will either move or go to Oia for a nice walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment