Monday, June 25, 2007

Afroditi - Venus Hotel

So I am still in Santorini. This is my seventh day in my new job as a receptionist in the hotel Afroditi - Venus. It's not nearly as luxurious as Mystique but it's more of my kind of hotel.

I work from 15:00 to 23:00 (without any exceptions) and so far things are ok. The difference (apart from the paycheck) is that things are more relaxed. Nobody expects me to know everything and the customers are more understanding.

There are the usual problems that occur in every hotel (mainly power shortages) but the way people responds to them is very different. For example:

Reception:
I'm sorry for the inconvenience but the power shortage is general in Santorini.
Guest of Afroditi:
It's because of the oveload of the system right? Oh well it will pass ...
Guest of Mystique:
What do you mean that the island has no powe? What are you doing about it? Where is your generator? I'm paying a lot of money to have a stress free vacation and this is not stress free. I want to speak with the manager, I want free nights, I'm sending a complain to Starwoods, Your service sucks.

Reception:
What can I do for you?
Guest of Afroditi:
I would like a taxi please.
Receptionist:
I'm afraid nothing is available at the moment. Would you like me to try again later?
Guest of Afroditi:
Yes please.

Reception:
What can I do for you?
Guest of Mystique:
I would like a taxi.
Receptionist:
I'm afraid nothing is available at the moment. Would you like me to try again later?
Guest of Mystique:
What do you mean that nothing is available? There arte dozens of taxis on the island, Surely you can get me one. This has never happened to me before. Your attitude is not up to Starwood standarts. Where is the manager? I wish to file a complain. I am not satisfied at all.

Of course they are right. Mystique is charging outrageous amounts of money. The salary is better and there are tips and commisions that might double your paycheck but I can't do what's required of me. At least not yet. Things are simplier in Afrodity - Venus. It's just a typical reception (exactly what I was looking for).

The most major screw up (that the reception is responsible) was the loss or more likely the missplacement of a guest's passport. It was a joint mistake and not something I did all by myself and the guest's reaction was the following:

At first when he realised that the passport was missing he was upset. He wanted to talk to the manager who told us to "Look for the damned thing. It's there somewhere" and then when we did discover where it went (some other guest had taken it by accident) and took it to his room he was relieved and said that things like that happen (!?!?). We also called his rep who said "Don't panic, if the passport is actually lost, we'll just inform the authorities and he will get a new one" (?!?!?)

If something like that had happened to Mystique, the manager would have cut me to pieces and threw me at the volcano. I don't know if the guest will let things pass (he probably doen't think of the world for Afroditi's service right now) but nothing very dramatic happened. So everything is ok for now.
I will post more news soon.

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 25, 2007

    Κάθε εμπόδιο για καλό όπως λέει και ο λαός μας.

    Αυτό που έχει σημασία είναι, όπως λες και στο προηγούμενο post σου, "πέφτοντας από το άλογο έδωσες μια ακόμα προσπάθεια..."

    Καλά να περνάς λοιπόν στην όμορφη Σαντορίνη, και τη δουλειά - όσο μπορείς - να τη συνδυάσεις και με διακοπές. :)

    ...ένας διαδικτυακός συνάδελφος

    ReplyDelete