Health and Science
• New chemotherapy breakthroughs have increased the 5-year survival for pancreatic cancer from 16% to 27% (and is getting better)
Source: The Guardian
• Scientists figured out how to link robotic limbs with the part of the brain that deals with intent to move so people don’t have to think about how they will move the limb, it can just happen.
• Child mortality is down everywhere and it keeps going down.
• Thanks to the ice bucket challenge the gene responsible for ALS has been found, meaning we are closer to an effective treatment. Let me rephrase that: we are close to getting a treatment for a very bad disease because a lot of people (including really hot celebrities) got wet.
• Coffee consumption has been proved to help curtail cancer and suicide rates.
• Speaking of coffee Starbucks figured out how to donate perishable food in a food safe way.
• A new therapy developed in Israel could cure radiation sickness.
• Precision treatments for cancer are hitting clinical trials and WORKING (as someone who’s had relatives with cancer this is the best news)
• We made massive strides in Alzheimer’s prevention .
• We may have cured MS
• Death by heart disease has decreased by 70% in the United States
• New medicine has been shown to increase melanoma survival rate to 40%
Environment and Nature
• The layer is repairing itself and all the work we did to get rid of those aerosol chemicals was actually worth it.
• Portugal ran its entire nation solely on renewable energy for four days straight.
• California is now powering over 6 million homes with solar power, a record in the US.
• Volunteers in India planted 50 million trees in 24 hours.
• 500 elephants were relocated to a better, safer and bigger home.
• Two brothers saw color for the first time thanks to specially (and accidentally) designed glasses
• And news on the glasses themselves:
• A retiree is launching a project to transport 80 endangered rhinos to an Australian reservation to save the animals from poaching
• Tiger numbers are growing.
• And manatees.
• And pandas.
People, Religion, Society, and Other Random Good News:
• Pokemon Go players went insane with placing lure modules near hospitals for sick kids.
• Pakistan has made strides toward outlawing honor killings.
• 70,000 Muslim clerics declared a fatwa against ISIS.
• The Anglican church resolved to solemnize same-sex unions the same as opposite-sex unions which required a super majority of all three orders of the church (lay, clergy, bishop).
• The Rabbinical Assembly issued a resolution affirming the rights of transgender and non-conforming individuals.
• Pope Francis spoke against society’s obsession with physical beauty while dedicating Mass to the disabled community (love that dude)
• An Afghan teacher has been delivering books via bicycle to villages that lack schools
• Harriet Tubman is going to replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill.
• 200 strangers attended the funeral of a homeless WW2 veteran with no family
• A teen battling cancer married his sweetheart
• Bank firm pays for college tuition for the children of employees who died in the 9/11 attacks
• Over 800 Boko Harem Hostages were rescued by Nigerian Army
• Toys R Us is Offering Quiet Shopping Hour for kids with autism this holiday season
• Volunteers made special tiny Halloween costumes for NICU babies
• Leonardo Dicaprio won an Oscar. I’m sad because this gif is no longer relevant, but Leo got what he deserved!
• Michael Jordan donates 2mil to try and help bridge connection between police and the community.