Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Chit - chat

Here is a part of my job that I really don't like. Imagine this: It's 12 o' clock noon. New arrivals are waiting to be checked in, guests are lining up to check out and then some poor sod steps up and says: Miss I wan to go to so-and-so restaurant for lunch could you make a reservation NOW, as I need to get going and I really want a reservation?

Simple you would think. Surely I can put the others on hold it will only take a second. I remember most of the restaurants' telephone numbers without looking them up, so it will only take a second.

Think again. The person on the other end of the line wants to do the public relations game. So instead of taking down the essentials like number or people, name and time, she/he asks "You are calling from Majestic wow (it's a hotel you goofy, what's the big deal?) how are things there? (same as you dummy) We haven't heard of you for a while. Maria is this you? When ARE you coming to dinner yourself?

This is not a social call. Get over with it. I have work to do. Meanwhile people are starring and I am getting pissed. The person on the other end of the line might have nothing better to do because if I had called for a reservation on a busy night I would receive a different approach but no. She now says smugly to herself how social and agreeable she is and how my manners border on the rude.

PLEAAAAASE.

That's why I love the taxi operator. The conversation goes like this:
Maria: Calling from Majestic, 2 pax for Oia
Operator: 2 pax from Majestic to Oia (twice)
{somewhere in the background there is an answer}
Operator: Number 25 in 5 minutes
Maria: Ok.

Nice. Easy. Fast. No hurt feelings. Yeah!

1 comment:

  1. I love it. My blog's all about the same stuff, but unfortunately in German. Kisses from Paros!

    ReplyDelete